There are 31.18 million active internet users in South Africa
A few years ago, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) was a foreign concept to many business owners. But now businesses are realising the importance of SEO for their businesses. The only problem is that too many still use outdated techniques, not realising that, like other marketing efforts, SEO is highly competitive. You need to leverage all the latest tools and tactics to rank above your competitors.
Local SEO has become vital for South African business.
What is local SEO?
Local SEO is an extremely effective way to market your local business online. It focuses on optimising your website to be found in local search results. This way, you can promote your products and services to local customers at the exact time they're looking for them online.
Common local searches often include:
- Doctor near me
- Restaurants near me
- Where to eat
- Best florist in Bedfordview
- Pretoria nail technician
- Cheap wedding venues in Pretoria
More so than ever before, customers expect search engines to automatically use their geographic locations to bring them information that is as relevant to them as possible. It’s quite surprising that all business aren’t desperately trying to make sure they are visible for location based searches and that customers know who they are, where they are and all their relevant contact information.
This is where Google My Business listings come in.
What is a Google My Business listing?
Google My Business is a free tool used to help you manage your online presence across the Google platform. It’s kind of a combination of an online directory listing and a social media profile. Set up correctly, it can be one of the most powerful online tools for your business.
- Business owners need to do the following:
- Create their Google My Business listing;
- Claim ownership of the listing; and
- Populate the listing with company information, including contact information, location, hours, photos and more.
The listing also allows you to create social media stories and customers are able to upload photos and leave reviews on the listing.
Google My Business provides your business an opportunity to show up in Google Search and Maps and build credibility with potential customers that see or interact with your listing.
6 Tips for a fantastic Google My Business listing
- Make sure your listing information is accurate.
- Request reviews from satisfied customers. The more positive reviews you have, the better you star rating will be. If you do get bad reviews, use them as an opportunity to show your viewers that you respond well and, hopefully, can resolve any problems they may have.
- Be easy to contact. Don’t create any confusion on your listing. Contacting you should be as easy as pushing a button. And, they should know exactly what steps to take with your business - no fuss - no complications.
- Analyse your location information. You can do this with the help of an SEO specialist. This will allow you to identify how much of your traffic is visiting your site organically or from the listing.
- Upload more than just a business logo. Include photos of the products and services you offer to give your listing a sense of authenticity.
- Make sure your website is mobile friendly. As stated earlier, most of your customers are going to encounter your business for the first time on their smartphone. If your website doesn’t load quickly, doesn’t look professional or is difficult to nativate, you may lose potential customers.
Make sure you get your local SEO up to speed and that your website is ready to impress your visitors. Here’s a list of digital marketing companies in South Africa. Find the perfect partner for your business.
Find out more: